Friday , June 18 2021

$ 1million lost by Taupō businesses in power cut



Taupō McDonald's owner, Eileen Byrne, says she lost in excess of $ 10,000 due to Monday's power cut.

STEPH RANGI / STUFF

Taupō McDonald's owner, Eileen Byrne, says she lost in excess of $ 10,000 due to Monday's power cut.

Taupō's businesses were left at least $ 1 million out of the pocket after the lakeside community affected.

Some 16,000 customers around the greater Taupo region were without a power, after a fault Unison said at the Wairakei substation at 8.40am.

Taupō Mayor, David Trewavas, said the $ 1 million loss was the minimal impact.

READ MORE:

* Power back on on Taupo after outage affecting 16,000 customers

"Most businesses had to close the course, so people have lost revenue in sales but also the cost of staff. They still have to pay them.

"It was a novelty for a couple of hours but three-four hours later, the reality started setting in."

Trewavas said the frustrating thing for him, was how close this power cut was last year's one.

"This is the second time in a space of a year that has happened. We were totally understood during weather events but that was not the case."

Trewavas said he will be meeting with the power companies and utility owners to avoid what they can do next happen in the future.

McDonald's Taupō owner, Eileen Byrne said she lost in excess of $ 10,000 in turnover due to the power cut and even with insurance, she will not be able to regain all of it.

"We have to take in loss of revenue, costs of wages, and food. It does not cover your entire loss, it only counts a percentage of it.

"I have a special delivery coming today and that's an extra cost."

Byrne said Monday's waiting game was very frustrating.

"We were told [the power] would come on by lunch time so we kept the staff on anticipating that. Then we were told 3pm. Then at 6pm it finally came on and by the time we fire up all the equipment that adds on another half an hour to 45 minutes. "

Like Trewavas, Byrne is frustrated with the fact this is the second time it's happened.

"This happened a year ago. It's getting ridiculous."

But Byrne is thankful that the power cut occurred on a Monday and not on a Friday.

"If we had to choose a day for this to happen on, then Monday was a good day."

Transpower said at 8.50am that crews were investigating the cause of a power cut across Taupo.

ROBERT STEVEN

Transpower said at 8.50am that crews were investigating the cause of a power cut across Taupo.


Source link